Friday, August 3, 2012

Book Beginnings: Lord of the Flies






Every Friday Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. What you do is share the opening line(s) of the book you are currently reading and briefly discuss what you think about the opening line or the book or whatever else inspires you. Make sure to share your entry with Rose City Reader and in my comments below.

Here's my book beginning:




"The boy with fair hair lowered himself own the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way toward the lagoon. Though he had taken off his school sweater and trailed it now from one hand, his grey shirt stuck to him and his hair was plastered to his forehead. All round him the long scar smashed into the jungle was a bath of heat. He was clambering heavily among the creepers and broken trunks when a bird, a vision of red and yellow, flashed upwards with a witch-like cry; and this cry was echoed by another."

-Lord of the Flies, by William Golding

The novel begins after a plane has crashed into an island, stranding a large group of boys, including the one described above, Ralph. I'm not quite halfway into it, but I have a feeling that something bad is going to happen soon. There's a lot of tension between some of the boys, who have a love for their new found freedom, but also a desire to be rescued by adults. I guess I'll just have to read on.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE this book!! Happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep meaning to read this one! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is both fascinating and terrifying. I was a bit too young when I read it so I should probably read it again! Thanks for sharing! :)
    My FF Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is yet another of those classic YA books that I have never read. I have always been a genre reader and read lots but missed a lot of books too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very cool. Somehow I missed reading this in school...not sure why. I like the beginning. There are so many terrible things that can happen after a plane crashes onto an island...I know this thanks to LOST. I hope its a good read.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris,

    Thanks for following me. I like your blog. I read Lord of the Flies a hundred years ago. Would love to read it now. Sure I would have a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my friends read this one in school, my class read Of Mice and Men instead, a much easier novel to get through, but I did try to borrow it from my sister when her year read it, without much success...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I think it has a good opening I must admit that this is one of the books I hate most in the whole world.
    It was something I had to read in high school, and while I liked most of the books we had to read, I really detested this one. Still, he won the Nobel prize, so I guess some people disagree with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete