Friday, May 25, 2012

Book Beginnings: Neverwhere

I've decided to try something I came across today posted in the blog, Rose City Reader, called Book Beginnings on Fridays. Bloggers post the opening line or lines of the book they are currently reading and share with others. Then you share your thoughts on the book/opening line. Here is my book:


"The night before he went to London, Richard Mayhew was not enjoying himself."

- Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman

I'm almost finished with the book and I would definitely recommend it. As you might guess from the opening lines, Richard has some bad days ahead of him. The book has lots of humor, great characters, and a neat world set in the London Above and the London Below.

6 comments:

  1. I experience similar sentiments right before my trips to Virginia...Sounds like it's a good read though. I like the idea of A London Above and Below.

    I've been wanting to read some fantasy and I've pretty much narrowed it down to The Name of the Wind (Rothfuss) and A Wizard of Earthsea (LeGuin - I noticed you've written a review) I think I might look into this one a bit more too.

    Here's my book beginning:

    http://morosebookshelf.blogspot.com/2012/05/book-beginnings-red-rooster.html

    Amber @ A Morose Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really enjoyed A Wizard of Earthsea, though I haven't heard of The Name of the Wind. Maybe I'll look into that someday.

      Delete
  2. Chris, Great to have you join those of us who post every Friday. I love books by Neil Gaiman but have not read Evermore. Here is my post. Book Beginnings Come over a visit. I don't think my book this week would be one you would like but I do a lot of SciFi and it looks like that is something you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Book Beginnings! Glad to have you join us!

    I'm not a big sci-fi fan, so I've never read Gaiman, but this look like one I may enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I think Gaiman's worth a read at least for his humor and style.

      Delete
  4. Good beginning - I really need to read this one. My post:
    http://wcs53.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/book-beginnings-and-friday-56-silver-may-25/

    ReplyDelete