Wednesday, June 25, 2014

WWW Wednesdays (June 25, 2014)


WWW Wednesdays is a meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. What you do is answer the following three questions:


What are you currently reading?

 


I've been juggling between John Green's The Fault in Our Stars and The Super Hugos Presented by Isaac Asimov. I'm more than halfway through The Fault in Our Stars now, and it's a very good book. There's a lot more humor than I expected. The dialogue reminds me of the wit displayed in Diablo Cody's screenplay for Juno. The Super Hugos is a collection of sci-fi short stories, though these are more like short novels. I've read George R. R. Martin's entertaining "Sandkings," Isaac Asimov's thought-provoking "The Bicentennial Man," and Barry B. Longyear's poignant "Enemy Mine." These are all excellent examples of sci-fi stories and I can't wait to read more.

What did you recently finish reading?
 




I most recently finished Stephen King's The Green Mile. This was my first go at the story (never seen the movie, either) and I think I rather enjoyed it. It has some of King's signature silliness, what with a mouse named Mr. Jingles and a urinary tract infection so gruesomely detailed, but it turns out to be a wonderful piece of magical realism.

What do you think you'll read next?




I'll probably stick with the sci-fi theme and read The Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clarke. I don't know much about it, but I have read one of Clarke's Space Odyssey books (it was a while ago) and he has a short story called "The Star" in The Super Hugos. We'll see how that goes.

3 comments:

  1. I adored 'The Fault in Our Stars.' It seems a lot of people are reading it right now; I hope you enjoy!
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about trying to read some Stephen King. Trying to complete my reading BINGO card which includes "A Book that Scares Me." King would fit the bill I think. Thanks for stopping by my blog. http://alenaslife.wordpress.com/2014/06/25/w-w-w-wednesday-16/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read some King, I somehow missed his books while growing up and need to make up for it (unlike my friends who read and reread his stuff). All the sci fi makes me want to pick something like that up too. I need to switch things up. Been meaning to read Dune some time soon...

    ReplyDelete