Friday, July 27, 2012

Book Beginnings: A Wrinkle in Time






Every Friday Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. What you do is share the opening line(s) of the book you are currently reading and briefly discuss what you think about the opening line or the book or whatever else inspires you. Make sure to share your entry with Rose City Reader and in my comments below.

Here's my book beginning:


"It was a dark and stormy night."

-A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle

 Somehow I missed reading this in my childhood, but I guess it's never too late. It's an evocative opening, and a simple one. I'm curious to see where this night leads us.

12 comments:

  1. I had forgotten that L'Engle opens with that line. Love that series. Hope you enjoy it!

    Here are my Friday Memes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love these books! Would love to find time for a reread. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed reading this in my childhood too! Wonder what happens in this stormy night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite Newbery Award books and one of my favorite science fiction stories for middle graders. But the beginning reminds me of Bulwer-Lytton - which might have been intended by L'Engle. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like that opener...and I missed it in childhood, too. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never read this either. I like the beginning though...This may be a silly question but what genre is it?

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a silly question. I believe it is YA Science Fiction.

      Thanks for visiting, Amber!

      Delete
  7. One of my favorite books. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read anything by L'Engle. I should change that. This one looks interesting. My Friday post:
    http://wcs53.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/book-beginnings-and-friday-56-the-secret-hour-july-27/

    ReplyDelete
  9. An evocative opening for an evocative book! I so loved this! It was one of the first books I shared with a Year 7 class at the beginning of my teaching career many moons ago!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Classic beginning! Reminds me of so many books from my early childhood.

    ReplyDelete