Tuesday, July 31, 2012

July Wrap-Up

So far my summer months haven't been as productive reading-wise as I would have liked. This is mostly because I decided to take on George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. I've read a book a month of his so far and will probably read the third one in August. In all I read 5 books (and one of those I didn't finish) and wrote 8 reviews.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky

I enjoyed this coming of age story due to the insights of its main character, Charlie. It had some humor and it had some very touching moments. I'm curious to see the movie once it comes out as well, though I know the movie will be unable to reproduce the way the story is told here, through a series of letters.

A Clash of Kings, by George R. R. Martin

The second book in Martin's massive fantasy series, I enjoyed this one almost as much as the first. It starts off faster because you already know the characters and situations, but its conclusion isn't as exciting as the first one. Still, I'll have the third one read by the time my school semester starts up again in August.

Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins

This series just wasn't for me. I thought I would try and finish it anyway, but 150 pages into the second book I stopped. I'll still see the movies, though, I'm sure.

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm, by Nancy Farmer

I've decided to revisit some classic YA books, starting with this hilarious story by Nancy Farmer. This is the kind of story you see only once in a while, and fortunately it is very entertaining and even thoughtful.

A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle

Another Newbery book, A Wrinkle in Time is more serious and tackles some very complicated and deep themes, though I think it takes the anti-Communism of its Cold War era a little too seriously. Still, I found it very enjoyable and well-written. My review will be up later this week.

Other books I reviewed but read earlier this year:

ttfn, by Lauren Myracle
A Theft, by Saul Bellow
Black Boy, by Richard Wright

1 comment:

  1. I'm really interested in reading George R. R. Martin's book series. I just need to find the time :/

    ReplyDelete